Saturday, January 11, 2020

Welcome to the Adventure

Barring major catastrophe, illness, or misfortune, we have a date for our epic adventure.

We are going to take a canoe and paddle it the entire length of the Huron River!

What does that entail? 

Here are the statistics, because I'm a bulleted list kinda gal:
  • 104 miles of river (technically 101.8 actual river miles), which we'll just round down to an even 100 for the sake of this blog's name.
  • It will take us 5 days and 4 nights to complete this journey
  • An estimated 28 hours of paddling
  • 11 portages, most over dams
  • Varying water conditions, from swift river to occasional class II rapids to the flat backwaters behind dams
  • This stretch of river has been recently designated as a National Water Trail!
Why are we doing this?

We have brainstormed a variety of goals for this trip, and here are some ideas that we're chewing on right now:
  • To raise awareness of the Huron River and promote its use as a recreational resource
  • To highlight the newly-created Huron River Water Trail
  • To raise funds for the Huron River Watershed Council, who does great work for the Huron and were
    instrumental in developing and promoting this new Water Trail
  • To help educate my own students and their community about the Huron River
  • To create art (written and visual) based off of our journey

When are we going?

Mid-August, 2020


In the months to come, this blog will serve as a space where we can share our thoughts, our journey, and ultimately, our grand adventure.  I keep using the words "we" and "our", because I am lucky enough to be planning this trip with one of the most amazing paddling and blogging partners that I could ask for: Heather Friedli.  Heather is my former roommate and teaching partner from our days in YMCA Storer Camps' Outdoor Education Program, and all-around marvel.  She's thru-hiked the entire Appalachian Trail, paddled solo in the Boundary Waters, and is an AMAZING and accomplished artist.  Seriously, stop what you're doing and go look at her gorgeous artwork.  Heather has graciously offered to co-author this blog with me as we get ourselves prepared for this journey.

It looks highly possible that we're going to have some other amazing folks joining us for the trip as well. Old camp friends, family members, and even coworkers have expressed an interest in joining us for a leg or two of our adventure.  I'm already feeling such community support for this project, and it reminds me just how lucky I am to have so many amazing people in my life.

Speaking of amazing people, I plan to give many (but probably not enough) shout-outs to my dear husband and son, who are giving me the space and time to pursue this crazy dream of mine.  They will be holding down the homestead while I do something big for me and my community, and that kind of support at home is something that not every woman is lucky enough to have.

So here we go, folks - thanks for joining us on this adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment